Pelican Lake Area Attractions
Northern Minnesota Activities
- Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary - Located only a few miles down the road, the Vince Shute Wildlife Sanctuary, operated by the American Bear Association, is often described as the best place in the world to see wild black bears in their natural habitat. The VSWS is open from 5 till 8 Tuesday-Sunday from memorial day to labor day. A must see!
- Golf- With many local courses, and beautiful northern terrain, there are a variety of affordable reasons to remember your clubs! Click Here to see a map and links to all of the best Northern MN courses or click on the logo below to go directly to that course. Ask also about 2-4-1 greens fees on several area courses!
- Hiking- Take a day to go sightseeing near the resort. Northern MN features many popular trails to get out and experience nature untouched. Our personal favorite, the Vermillion Gorge and Falls on Crane Lake.
- Mining - As a major part of Northern MN history, iron ore mining goes 1/2 a mile underground at the Soudan Underground Mine State Park. See how they worked, learn how they lived and experience one of the most interesting tours you'll ever take!
- Float Plane Trips - Wanna see the lake from the air, take off right from the dock? Scheduled trips with advanced notice are available from Pelican Lake to surrounding areas.
*Other area links*
-Voyageurs National Park- Bordering Canada to the north, Voyageurs provides thousands of acres of untouched Northern wilderness. With many remarkable lakes and natural landscapes Voyageurs can make for a wonderful experience. Voyageurs National Park Association
-Fortune Bay Resort and Casino- Located on the south shore of Lake Vermillion, Fortune Bay offers a local retreat from the outdoors with fine dining, premier golf and variety of gaming options.
-Ely Area- Located on the Northeast corner of Lake Vermillion and providing a gateway to the boundary waters, Ely is a great day trip option with lots of shops, restaurants and local Northern charm.
-Iron World Discovery Center- Learn even more Iron Range history, and take a train ride around one of the largest open pit mines in MN.